I was recently a guest on the “Pause for Justice” radio program, broadcasting out of the University of St. Francis in Joliet, IL. Gracious and thoughtful host, Allison Heard, and I had a great conversation about my book, “I Am Somebody: Why Jesse Jackson Matters,” as well as related issues of civil rights and social justice.
Ms. Heard also gave me the opportunity to select the songs that would play during the broadcast. Here were my choices:
- “Think” by Aretha Franklin
- “What’s Going On?” by Marvin Gaye
- “I Remember, I Believe” by Lizz Wright
- “Peaceful World” by John Mellencamp with India.Arie
- “People Have the Power” by Patti Smith